Southern Fried Fish

Remember the first time you saw Twilight and you walked out of the theater in a glittery daze and thought to yourself, man I wonder what's in Harry Clearwater's Fish Fry?

No?

Well, I did.  Not that we have to make ours homemade around here.  We have two awesome seafood breaders readily available in my neck of the woods that are amazeballs... one from House of Autry and one from Adluh.  But I've learned writing this blog that you guys don't always have access to the same things I do so I decided I would try to create a recipe for a fish fry that you could make.  And just in case the zombie apocalypse knocks out my two favorite mills, I'll have a backup plan for frying fish.

There was really only one flavor that I was sure about, and that was onion powder.  I've picked up on that for sure over the years but I wasn't really sure what else was in there.  I took a glance at the House of Autry Seafood Breader package and the only spice/flavor/herb/seasoning mentioned at all was.... ta-da.... onion powder.

I decided against garlic and after sniffing most of my spice cabinet, settled on a pretty basic lineup.  I heated the grease, dredged the fish, fried it up and.... fell in love.  Serve with a big basket of homemade Hush Puppies for an authentic Southern fish fry experience.


Southern Fried Fish
2 pounds white fish*
Salt and pepper
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup hot sauce
2 cups South Your Mouth Fish Fry

Heat a minimum of 4 inches of oil in a deep skillet or wide pan to 350 degrees (medium-high heat).  Season fish with salt and pepper.  In a medium bowl mix buttermilk and hot sauce.  Dip fish, one piece at a time, in buttermilk mixture and shake off all excess liquid. Dredge fish in fish fry and immediately add to hot oil. Cook until golden brown and remove to a plate or pan lined with paper towels.

South Your Mouth Fish Fry
1 1/2 cups medium ground cornmeal**
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons paprika

Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container.  Use for frying fish or shellfish.

*Use any flaky, white fish (crappy, bream, catfish, tilapia, flounder, etc.).  I actually used swai fillets.  I had no idea what swai was but it was only a few bucks for a 2-pound package at Aldi so I thought... meh? If you like catfish, you will LOVE swai.  I found it to be almost identical to catfish sans the musky taste.  Plus is wicked cheap.  Holla!

**If using self-rising cornmeal, increase amount to 2 cups and omit flour.


PRINTABLE RECIPE
LihatTutupKomentar