Magic Brownie Bars

The combination of butterscotch, chocolate and coconut should have its own name. Like the classical French combination of celery, onion and carrot is called Mirepoix or the Cajun blend of celery, onion and bell pepper is called the Holy Trinity, I think butterscotch, chocolate and coconut should have its own name too.

Like Magic Mix. Or Fifty Shades of Awesome.

My very favorite treat as a kid was Magic Cookie Bars (a.k.a Hello Dollies, a.k.a. 7-Layer Bars). I was thinking of making these Sunday and realized I didn't have any graham crackers. Since it was 293 degrees outside, there was no way in hell I was going to the grocery store. Or even putting on clothes. I spent the entire weekend in my draws and one of Husband’s wife-beaters. Don’t judge me. You spend the first weekend of July in South Carolina in 100% humidity in the middle of a heat wave and tell me how many layers of clothes you end up wearing. I digress…

I decided to top some brownie batter with some of the Magic Cookie Bar ingredients instead (everything but the chocolate chips since the brownies had the chocolate factor covered). I wasn't really sure how it would turn out. That’s the thing with this food blogger gig… sometimes you make stuff and it turns out sucky. Anywho, I assembled everything, popped it in the oven and crossed my fingers.

Ohmygoodnessgracioustheyweresogood!

I was worried that the brownie batter wouldn't support the other stuff and that it would all collapse in a big gooey mess (which I prolly would have still eaten). It turned out perfectly and I cannot WAIT to cook these again!


Magic Brownie Bars
1 family-size box brownie mix (18.3-oz.)*
Eggs, oil & water for the brownies
1 11-oz. bag butterscotch morsels
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Line a 13x9 baking pan with aluminum foil and spray generously with cooking spray.

Prepare brownie batter per package instructions then spread brownie batter evenly into pan.

Sprinkle butterscotch morsels, coconut and pecans over brownie batter. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over morsels, etc. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until milk is lightly caramelized.

Remove from oven and let rest until cool. Remove brownies from pan by lifting up on aluminum foil lining and cut into servings.


PRINTABLE RECIPE


*If you want to go homemade, here’s my recipe for basic cocoa brownies:

Cocoa Brownies
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa and salt in a bowl and set aside.

Mix vegetable oil, egg and vanilla with an electric mixer until combined. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.

Spray a 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray. Spread brownie batter into pan and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.
LihatTutupKomentar