Hot Dog Chili Sauce

A Coney Island style hot dog chili sauce recipe perfect for your next cookout!


Have you ever eaten something that you loved, tried to recreate it at home and failed miserably? Well, that’s me with hot dog chili.

Mom makes one that everyone loves. Except me. Sorry, Mama. It’s a hearty chili that tastes a lot like Sloppy Joes. And y’all know I don’t like Sloppy Joes.

What I wanted was more of a sauce. Like that crap in the can but made from better ingredients (like, actual meat, for instance). I always loved hot dog day in school. That chili would be so runny you’d have to eat your hot dog with a fork and I LOVED IT.

I could never figure out how to get it to be not so chunky… you can only break hamburger meat down so much. Or can you? I was stalking Pinterest one night and found a recipe for Coney Island Chili Dogs. The dude put the chili in a food processor and pulsed it a few times and voila… chili sauce. BRILLIANT!

So, here’s my version of it. I totally made the recipe up as I went along and, if I do say so myself, it was spot on!

Oh, and I have to tell you this… I cook my hot dogs in the oven until they’re browned and about to split open. Grilled is better but since my gas grill has been dead a few years and I can’t see going the charcoal route for $3 worth of hot dogs, oven roasting is the way to go!

Oh, and I also have to tell you this… Oscar Mayer RULES! I’m not a brand ho, but there are two things I won’t do without: Oscar Mayer hot dogs and Jif Peanut Butter.


Hot Dog Chili Sauce
1 pound ground beef
Salt & pepper
1 onion, diced
1 packet chili seasoning
2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon hot sauce

Season ground beef with salt and pepper and brown in a medium skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Drain fat then return ground beef to skillet; add onion and continue cooking until meat is thoroughly cooked.

Add beef and onion mixture to a medium saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.

Pour chili into a food processor and pulse 10-15 times or until chili reaches desired texture and consistency.

Return chili to saucepan, cover and continue cooking over low heat until ready to serve.

*Freeze leftovers for the next time you want to dress up your dogs!

LihatTutupKomentar