Chocolate Cupcakes with Orange Buttercream Frosting

Sometimes I get restless.  Not often.  It’s hard to find the time to become restless with Husband and the Onions underfoot.  But sometimes – like a Tuesday night during the NHL playoffs – I get antsy and start looking for trouble.

This happened to me one night and I found myself standing in the middle of the kitchen looking for something to get into.

I had a half batch of chocolate cupcakes in the freezer and thought I might try to whip up something out of those.  I didn’t have much else to work with on hand except two beautiful Florida oranges.  And butter.  Aw yeah… the wheels started turning.

I love the combination of chocolate and orange (remember those orange slice shaped chocolates you used to get at Christmas that had a hint of orange flavor to them?) and the zest just really makes this buttercream crisp and fresh tasting.

Chocolate Cupcakes with Orange Buttercream Frosting
1 batch of chocolate cupcakes*
½ cup butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
3-4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange zest

Whip butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (about 2 minutes).  Reduce speed to low and add vanilla and orange juice. Mix in 3 cups of powered sugar and orange zest.  Add up to 1 cup of additional powdered sugar if necessary to reach your desired consistency.

If it gets too dry, add more arrange juice – one teaspoon at a time. 

*If you use a box mix, substitute orange juice for the water that the directions call for.  If you use the ‘Suck It, Betty Crocker’ Chocolate Cake recipe, double the frosting recipe.

Print Page
LihatTutupKomentar