Mama's Wicked Awesome Shellfish Chowder

A family heirloom recipe for hearty seafood chowder made with shrimp, clams and scallops.


Do you want to hear something so stinking sweet? I was on the phone with my dad last week and he told me Mom was making her wicked awesome Shellfish Chowder for supper (well, Dad didn't actually use the terminology, wicked awesome).

I told him that I needed to cook it soon so I could get some pictures and post the recipe to the blog. Because it’s All That, y’all. For reals.

The next day I got several pictures from them. It was the sweetest thing. They had staged the prettiest place setting and taken pictures for me. There were some with placemats and some without; some with bread and some without, etc. Dad said they fretted over getting it just right for me. I’m gonna cry.

Brought to you by the best parents on the planet...


Mama’s Shellfish Chowder
1 cup diced celery
1 large onion, diced
1/2 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups water
5-6 small/medium potatoes peeled & diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 pound scallops
1 pound shrimp peeled
1 can of clams (with juice)
1 pint half & half
1/2 cup dry white wine

Sauté celery and onion in butter in a large stock pot over medium heat 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.

Add water, potatoes, salt, pepper and bay leaves; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add scallops and remaining ingredients, return to a simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and allow to rest, covered for 15-20 minutes before serving.

*You can add lump crab meat as well for an extra special chowder. If you’re fortunate enough (and I have been from time to time) to have a hook-up on blue crab claws, they are a divine addition!

If you enjoyed this recipe also check out this recipe for Best Clam Chowder!

PRINTABLE RECIPE

LihatTutupKomentar