Eggnog Lattes and Snobby Straws

I only order plain-Jane lattes at Starbucks (or when in Canada, plain-Jane double-doubles from Tim Horton’s).  I’m sort of a coffee snob and don’t really get into flavored coffee drinks.

I popped in to Starbucks this weekend to grab a latte (no, I don’t want any syrup with that Mr. Barista, thankyouverymuch).

Actually, I went in there to see if I could buy a straw.  A bazillion years ago I treated myself to one of those giant resin insulated glasses with the twist-on lid and super-long hard straw with the knobby thing at the bottom to keep it from coming out.  I lost the ferkin straw so the whole get-up is useless to me now.  Dang it.  They had this gigantic display of them and the snotty striped straws were smugly laughing at me and I thought, since they won't sell them separatly… who would notice if I just took one measly straw?  I gingerly touched one with the tips of my fingers and then all my good raising surged through my body and I was propelled across the store to land in a crumpled mess of shame while Jesus stood over me and wagged his finger.  Or something like that.  



Anywho…  I noticed they had Eggnog Lattes.  Eggnog Lattes?  Oh, HELL yeah!  I might not like flavored coffee drinks but I LOVE eggnog and had never even thought to combine it with coffee.  So I ordered one and I asked the barista if it was just espresso and eggnog and he says, “Actually, it’s 2/3 eggnog and 1/3 milk mixed with the espresso.”  And then I was thinking, Dude, seriously, you shouldn't be telling people that… there’s this whole thing called the internet now and these food-obsessed people that do nothing but blog about recipes all day long.

So of course I went home and tried it because who can afford $5.00 a pop for coffee?

Dude was right… this tastes EXACTLY like what I got at Starbucks.  Except it’s not actually a latte since I don’t have a milk steamer but whatever… latte sounds so much better than coffee so just go with it.

Eggnog Latte
2/3 cup eggnog
1/3 cup milk
2 shots espresso or 1/2 cup double strength coffee*
Sugar to taste
Whipped cream and nutmeg if desired.

Mix eggnog and milk in a large mug and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Add sugar if desired and stir well.

Holding the espresso as far above the mug as you dare, pour espresso into eggnog mixture (this creates a little foam – holla!).

Top with whipped cream and fresh grated nutmeg if desired.

*I use 4 scoops for 4 cups.

PRINTABLE RECIPE
LihatTutupKomentar